Friday, April 11, 2008

my nicknames

Before I went to college, there were only two ways how people called me. These were by my two given names: "Rod" and "Michael". Rod at school and Michael at home. Currently, I am also called rodmaykel, roddo, roddovic and roddolicious. I also use roddominating as a name in DoTA. Here's how I got these nicknames.

1. rodmaykel. After my first year in AdMU, I realized that the e-mail address I was using was quite uncool (rod_michael_coronel) so I had to think of a bit cooler one. What came into mind was "rodmaykel", a crude way of spelling how my given name sounded when pronounced. When I began giving out my new contact info, some people started calling me this way. I even used this name in my ECE batch 2006 jacket when we had one. I'd like to show a photo of the jacket with my name clearly visible, unfortunately, I guess those photos were taken with my laptop. I had to grab this photo from my friendster account just to show you the jacket.


2. roddo. When we took Japanese as a foreign language course, we had "modify" our names so that it was spelled the Japanese way. Since we were quite having fun with our modified names, we started them regularly. So when my Japanese course classmates began to call me "Roddo", others soon followed. Up to today, I am using this name for my basketball jerseys. Currently, I have three basketball jerseys with this name.

3. roddovic. In the group I worked with in my current company, people called each other "bitch." No harm is intended in this name-calling. I guess we just thought it was cool calling each other bitches (probably quite immature, but we're young and fun loving). After sometime, we started to attach the word bitch as a suffix to our names. Since I am sometimes also called roddo, they called me roddovic.

4. roddolicious. The nickname roddolicious is used by only one person in the company (Julievic). I forgot why she did. Maybe it's because of this. lol.

5. roddominating. I chose the name roddominating in DoTA to add a little fun in the name I use. Unfortunately, with my performance in each game, "roddominated" would have been more appropriate.

No comments: