Saturday, August 9, 2008

50 PHP story

A funny thing happened to me today. This morning I went to purchase my drinking water supply from Agua Vida, which is located near KFC. Usually, I only bring the exact amount (50 PHP) so that I won't have to worry holding the change while I'm carrying 50 gallons of water in 450 steps. The count is composed of 100 steps with the container on my left hand +100 on the right +70 on the left +70+60+~50.

However, today I brought 100 PHP because I didn't have any change. And I had to put the change inside the garter of my underwear. I know guys can visualize this, but for those who can't, please see the photo below. Obviously, I ripped this photo from a CK website. And of course, I was also wearing shorts and a shirt when I went to Agua Vida.


Anyways, when I arrived home, I already forgot that I had 50 pesos in my underwear. I boiled water in the microwave, made coffee, ate last night's ensaymada leftovers and browsed the internet. After a few minutes, I realized I had 50 pesos in the spot as shown above. Or so I thought... It was gone! The usual me would just let this pass and convince myself that it's part of my contribution to whoever poor person may luckily find it. Compared to several things I've lost in the past: a laptop, shuffle, several celphones, hundreds of umbrellas (of course I'm exaggerating here) and hundreds of ballpens including a few Parker ballpens (this time, I think this is true), 50 pesos is negligible. But because yesterday, I was virtually cashless (because the check I deposited did not yet reflect on my ATM account and I had to use my credit card to buy bread to have dinner, and the lunch I had was just banana-que), this 50 PHP is very important to me. (Btw, I got the cash from a neighbor who slipped 500 PHP this morning under my door as payment for the WiFi service I am providing at our Apartment).

And so, I went back to Agua Vida since it was just 900 steps away hoping that nobody hasn't found the money yet. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it. Now the funny thing is, after 30 minutes of my acceptance of this fate, I found the folded 50PHP in my bathroom when I went there to pee. The funnier thing is that the first place I went looking for the 50 PHP was actually in the bathroom. Even before I went back to Agua Vida. I don't know why I wasn't able see the first time. Moral of the story: you find things when you're not looking for them, or something like that.

No comments: