Sunday, May 4, 2008

my dream photography kit

I have been shooting weddings for a while already. But I might say that the equipment that I have been using is not yet the equipment a professional wedding photographer ought to have. Currently, here's what's on my bag:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG lens
Canon 430EX Speedlite

A lot of photography forums insist that a fast lens (aperfure <= f/2.8) is the way to go. They have higher quality and allows you to shoot in low light situations without using flash. Using these lenses in their maximum aperture also allows for more blurred backgrounds, leading to photos with more emphasis on the subject.

In flash photography, most forums that I've read also promote using indirect flash. One of the ways of doing this is by using bounce flash which I am already capable of doing using my 430EX. However, there are scenarios where bounce flash is not possible. This include scenarios when the ceiling is dark, the ceiling is too high or it is colorful. A flash with master capability such as the Canon 580EX used with a slave flash (such as 430EX) is an easy solution.

Unfortunately, due to financial constraints, I am not yet able to grab myself what I'd like to call "my dream photography kit" I derived from suggestions from forums that I've read. The kit consists of:

Canon EOS 40D/5D (preferably the 5D)
*Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens
if (40D) Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens
if (5D) Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens or Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens
Canon 580EX Speedlite
*Canon 430EX Speedlite (or another 580EX would also be great)
*back-up body (can be my current Rebel XT)

Why 5D? A larger sensor creates a more blurred background, which I personally prefer in photographs.

I'd also like to have a sturdy ball-type monopod and a reflector.

Right now, I'm hoping that our wedding photography business will earn me enough money to buy my dream photography kit. Not that we're not already producing nice images, but these equipment will make us capable of producing even nicer images. :P

No comments: