Tuesday, June 24, 2008

fun with Joomla!

Finally, I was able to start experimenting with Joomla! I had some trouble looking for introductory material but when I came across this PDF quickstart, everything after it was easy. What I did was to create the web structure of a web development company.

The advantage of using Joomla! is that creating the content and presentation(template) can be done in two separate steps. Aside from this, all content can be easily ported into another template. And I think this is where Joomla! obtained is wide spread use. You can actually just concern yourself with the content and do away with the design of your website. In short, even non-technical individuals can develop on their own. This is because there are lots of developers out there who are willing to share their templates. You can start creating your content with the default template provided in all Joomla! installations. And when you're done, you just have to look for your preferred template. And when you have some background on CSS and PHP, you can also actually modify your downloaded templates. The good thing is that you don't have to start from scratch, you actually start near the finish line when it comes to designing your website.

In the four hours I spent exploring some features of Joomla!, I was able to come up with this website, and tried three more different templates I downloaded from http://www.siteground.com. I'm sure there a lot more better templates out there. If you want to take your technical skills and creativity to the next level, you may also develop your own templates from scratch.

No comments: