Monday, June 2, 2008

my frustrated teaching career

A few weeks ago, I was imagining what teaching style I'd be using when I start my teaching stint in Ateneo. I was thinking of being the cool type. I'd let the students eat or sleep in class (just like I did) and I would never check attendance. My only requirement is that they pass the exams and other course requirements. I'd also provide special attention to failing students and help them in every way I can.

But, as it turned out, the teaching stint is not bound to happen. Apparently, the ECCE Department received several applications for the teaching position before the incoming semester starts (five to be specific). During the summer, I think they were in desperate need of man-power so without formal interview or a teaching demo, the Chairperson of the department accepted me in one of the available positions (or at least that was what I thought when I filled up several forms such as the Information sheet, Phil Health, BIR, etc.). But I was also to blame that I was not able to secure the position. Between the time that I filled up those forms and the day I went to the panel interview/teaching demo (which by the way I screwed up by explaining the topic incorrectly and slightly bullshitting the panel by saying that I am making the shift to a career in the academe because I want personal fulfillment by sharing what I have to share), I only went to the office once and was able to chat only with the department secretary.

So, as I mentioned, due to the number of applicants, they had to perform a panel interview and a teaching demo. Unfortunately, as I also mentioned, I sucked during the interview and teaching demo. The moral lesson that I learned is that I should prepare for job interviews and think of the questions most likely to be asked. Of course the answer that I should give must not be bullshit but should be the truth phrased in a way that would sound good to the interviewer. For instance the question about the shift from the industry to the academe. Boldly, my main reason for me wanting a career in the academe is that I want to have more free time to explore business/money-making possibilities. Another major reason that I want to join the academe is that I want to build a company(no specifics yet), and I feel that the academe will introduce me to possible partners, man-power or even investors to the company I want to build. Being in the academe would also allow me to have access to research facilities that may be necessary in building the company I dream of. If I were to state it this way, I would sound self-serving to the interviewers (in fact my reasons really are slightly self-serving). So instead, s better way to state it is: "Being in the academe will allow me to have time and access to resources for researching and learning about the current issues and trends in Electronics and IT. With sufficient background, my ultimate goal is to establish a company that will address these issues and ride with the current trends." Maybe they'll buy that. hehe.

Anyway, so right now, silly me is unemployed. Having thought that I already had a job in Ateneo, I did not look for other jobs anymore. huhuhu
But I am looking at it quite positively (except for the financial part). I am thinking that this is an opportunity to take a rest for a while (1 to 3 months should be enough to download and watch all the movies I missed). This is also a good time to consider the career path I should take. The options I am considering are: (a)hard core electronics (similar to what I had in my previous company), (b)IT (databases, web pages, software applications) or (c) semi-management track. I've always said in my previous job that I don't want the management part but I feel that it is when I am leading/guiding people that I feel slightly happier. But this maybe because of the feeling of dominion. hehehe. Right now I am updating my resume and looking for available positions. I've also created a cover letter (got this idea from JB) which I will customize for each position. I put on my planner that I should start to apply by mid-June so that my no-salary vacation will not be very long.

I hope I'd be able to find a job with the following characteristics:
- flexi-time, if not, night shift or work from home is also OK
- not too far away from Katipunan
- in the field that I have chosen (still currently deciding but biased on option (b))
- comparable or higher than the $&^%#&* salary that ci-tech was giving me
- travel opportunities
- good benefits
- using spoken English in everyday conversation not necessary. hehe

Finally I quote from a song by Parokya ni Edgar:

'Di ko na alam kung pa'no tatapusin yung kanta. Kaya ganito na lang Bigla na lang mawawala!

No comments: